There are many references to false cell lines within the scientific literature, beginning with the pioneering work of Stanley Gartler and Walter Nelson-Rees.
A full list of references can be found in the ICLAC Register of Misidentified Cell Lines.
- Masters JR, Alston-Roberts C, Barrett T, Burnett EC, Cooper JR, Dirks WG, Freshney RI, Healy L, Kerrigan L, Kohara A, Korch C, MacLeod RA, Nakamura Y, Nims RW, Reid YA, Storts DR, Capes-Davis A (2012) Cell-line authentication: End the scandal of false cell lines. Nature 492: 186. PMID: 23235867.
- Capes-Davis A, Alston-Roberts C, Kerrigan L, Reid YA, Barrett T, Burnett EC, Cooper JR, Freshney RI, Healy L, Kohara A, Korch C, Masters JR, Nakamura Y, Nims RW, Storts DR, Dirks WG, Macleod RA, Drexler HG (2013) Beware imposters: MA-1, a novel MALT lymphoma cell line, is misidentified and corresponds to Pfeiffer, a diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cell line. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 52: 986-8. PMID: 23907998.
- Capes-Davis A, Dirks WG, MacLeod RA, Uphoff CC (2014) Quality Matters: Cell Lines and their Use in Research. GIT Laboratory Journal Europe 17 (1-2): 12-13. See Journal website.
- Dirks WG, Kerrigan L, Peluso C, Wilder C (2014) Choose Wisely: Obtaining Cell Lines from Reliable Sources. GIT Laboratory Journal Europe 17 (3-4): 22-24. See Journal website.
- Cooper J, Burnett E, MacLeod RA, Nims R, Moy E, Capes-Davis A (2014) Cell Banking: Reliable Storage of Authentic Cell Lines. GIT Laboratory Journal Europe 17 (5-6): 18-20. See Journal website.
- The International Cell Line Authentication Committee (2014) Cell Line Cross-Contamination: WSU-CLL is a known derivative of REH and is unsuitable as a model for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia Res, Epub May 23. PMID: 24923861.
- The International Cell Line Authentication Committee (2014) New Resources for an Old Problem: Cell Line Cross-Contamination. In Vitro Report 48.3. See Journal website.
- Nardone RM, MacLeod RA, Capes-Davis A (2016) Cancer: Authenticate new xenograft models. Nature 532: 313. PMID: 27127813.
- Korch C, Hall EM, Dirks WG, Ewing M, Faries M, Varella-Garcia M, Robinson S, Storts D, Turner JA, Wang Y, Burnett EC, Healy L, Kniss D, Neve RM, Nims RW, Reid YA, Robinson WA, Capes-Davis A (2018) Authentication of M14 melanoma cell line proves misidentification of MDA-MB-435 breast cancer cell line. Int J Cancer 142: 561. See Journal website.
- Capes-Davis A, Bairoch A, Barrett T, Burnett EC, Dirks WG, Hall EM, Healy L, Kniss DA, Korch C, Liu Y, Neve RM, Nims RW, Parodi B, Schweppe RE, Storts DR, Tian F (2019) Cell lines as biological models: Practical steps for more reliable research. Chem Res Toxicol, Epub 15 Jun 2019. See Journal website.
Further Reading – Community Information
Would you like to read more about the topic without wading through the technical details? Suggestions can be found here.
Further Reading – Scientific Information
Are you a scientist who would like more information from a technical viewpoint? We suggest guidelines for Good Cell Culture Practice, good reviews on misidentified cell lines, and articles on human cell line authentication, testing of non-human cell lines, and microbial contamination.
Guidelines for Good Cell Culture Practice
Review Articles – Misidentified Cell Lines
Authentication Testing – Human Cell Lines
Authentication Testing – Non-Human Cell Lines
Image Credit: Tom Deerinck, NIGMS, NIH (via NCI Visuals Online). Public domain.